The Federal Chancellor Willy Brandt Foundation was erected in 1994 by the German Bundestag. The Foundation has the task of preserving the memory of Willy Brandt's political accomplishments and to honor his lifelong commitment for peace, freedom, and the unity of the German people, for safeguarding democracy in Europe and in the Third World, for the unification of Europe and for the reconciliation of nations. Within the framework of its educational responsibilities the Foundation seeks to contribute to the understanding of the history of the 20th century and of the development of the Federal Republic of Germany.
The Foundation is established by law as a non-partisan and not-for-profit organization funded by the German Bundestag and subordinated to the supervision of the Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and Media. The Foundation is governed by the Board of Trustees and the Board of Governors. It is headquartered in the centre of Berlin close to Brandenburg Gate. The Willy Brandt House in Lübeck on the Baltic Sea, where Willy Brandt was born in 1913, is a branch office.
The permanent Willy Brandt exhibitions (in Berlin and in Lübeck) are the centerpieces of the Foundation's work. Other projects are the edition of Brandt's papers, speeches and letters (the Berlin Edition), carrying out or inducing historical research, organizing lectures and courses of political education as well as workshops for historians and other international conferences.